Braids, braids everywhere!!
Lets take braiding to a different level more of a weave. Using four strands instead of three, Sam creates an enticing illusion of a scarf or headband in the hair. The look definitely has mass appeal and will have people stopping you in the street wanting to know how it was done!
The 4-Strand Slide-Up braiding technique is all about the rhythm keep the rhythm and you keep the pace without frustration.
Sam uses his Textur® Texturizing iron over the entire head to prep for visual interest and to create twice the volume and thickness. You can choose to only texturizing the section you are braiding if you prefer. Remember to protect you hair from the heat, we recommend using Redken Shape 11 Thermal Protection Spray.
- For this look Sam parts the hair in the center
- Take downward deep slice with tail comb about four inches to left of middle part
- Divide section into four equal strands with fingers and label them in your mind with the far right strand being #1 and the far left strand being #4
- Working from right (#1) to left (#4), begin with three strands on the right, disregard the fourth strand
- Now braid - Strand #1 goes over strand #2 and then under strand #3
- Now working from left (#4) to right (#1), disregard strand #1 (far right), strand #4 goes under strand #3 and then over strand #2
- Get into the rhythm - over and under, under and over, over and under, under and over
- Continue down end of section going from right to left and left to right Rhythm is key!
- At end braid, determine middle strand then pinch and hold that strand
- Fold all other strands over middle strand to create one strand just like the S Braid
- Palm end of the section, pinch and push upward - just like the S Braid
- At top of braided section, pull outward and loosen to reveal a 4-strand "Belt Buckle
- Secure end with hair friendly elastic and set into place with your grips
- Use an oil such as Redken's All Soft Argan-6 Oil for a hand oil to help with braiding.
- Get creative with the placement of the woven braid to frame the hairline to the left or right.
- Finish the braid with Redken's Control Addict 28, for a fast drying finish!
Did you have any questions? Let us know in the Comments box.
Try this at home and share your end results on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using #samvilla.