Brad Pitts newly shaved haircut, closely shorn on the sides with longer hair slicked back on top, may be for his part in a new World War II flick "Fury", but it's right in line with the Americana trend, just a tad bit shorter on the sides and flatter on the top. Andrew Carruthers, Director of Education for Sam Villa gives a how to below.
- Create a long rectangle detachment just above the round of the head (round the corners of your rectangle in the crown area).
- Using the Sam Villa professional dry cutting shear and the Sam Villa Signature Series Short Cutting Comb, cut the lower portion scissor-over-comb using the thickness of the comb as a guide for length. Switch between the wide length of the comb for removing length and the fine teeth for detailing.
- Take a one-inch section down the center of the top section stretching from the crown to the forehead to create your guide for the top.
- Elevate the section straight up 90 degrees from the top of the head and cut from shortest at the crown to longest at the front hairline (approximately 2 inches at the crown to 5 inches at the hairline).
- Continue taking parallel sections using the center section for a traveling guide and continue the same elevation until you reach the detachment at the round of the head.
- Utilize a weave cutting technique with the Sam Villa Signature Series Blending Shear in the top section to create strong contrasts of short and long pieces. The short pieces also help to support the longer pieces for fullness in the crown area.
- Blend the hairline down to the skin with a clipper for that retro barbershop finish.
- On towel-dried hair, apply a small amount of Redken for Men grip tight holding gel directly to the root area.
- Blow dry hair back using the Sam Villa Professional Ionic Hair Dryer and hands to direct hair back.
- Apply a half pump of Redken rough paste 12 working material evenly throughout the top and dust Redken powder grip 03 mattifying hair powder through the root area to create a strong matte finish.