(New York, NY) – How is a stylist supposed to meet a bride’s expectations on her wedding day? It’s a tall order, and bridezilla or not, there’s a lot of in the bridal hair market to make things PERFECT! Caralee Pridemore, Sam Villa Ambassador @caraleestyles, specializes in bridal services and says the ONLY way to meet a bride’s expectations is to go to TRIAL, and has these 5 tips for success.
- Arrive Ready: Have guests wash hair with a volumizing shampoo, massage a dime size of conditioner throughout and dry hair before arriving. Starting with a clean canvas allows styling products to be layered to build a solid foundation for hold, without older product buildup getting in the way.
- Products: Advise against using softening products like leave - in conditioners and masks, they create too much slip. The goal is to get the most grip out of hair so the style will last all day/night. So, applying a blowout cream on ends, volumizing mousse at roots and then blow drying hair upside down would be the best styling option to create tons of volume and a nice foundation for an updo.
- Texture: When up styling, the more texture the better, it creates fullness and longevity. One of the easiest ways to fashion texture is with the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron. If a bride is hesitant, explain that by crimping key sections with light compression 1 - 2” off the scalp, the hair cuticle expands and creates massive volume. And, since it is only used in certain areas, other hair around the hairline lays over it hiding the markings yet exploding with sky high lift.
- Extensions: If a client wants a half up half down style with fullness, but doesn’t have a lot of hair, offer extensions. Discuss which option is best, permanent or short term (wedding only), and think about their budget and add on fees. Hair padding = add on fee, day of prep = add on fee, etc....
- Accessories: Accessories help to tell the story and set a vibe. Is the wedding rustic chic, posh, boho, beachy, or urban? There are unlimited options when it comes to accessories, have some on hand to show what could work, or advise them to bring what they have already chosen. And don’t forget the veil!!! Have them bring it for the trial, along with pictures of the dress, as the neckline also comes into play.
“Schedule trial runs 4 - 6 months prior to the wedding to make sure you and your guest are a good fit and can meet each other’s expectations,” says Pridemore.
Looking for inspiration? Check out Pridemore’s coiled Dutch braid with cascading curls
Step 1: Section hair at the nape and work up and around the head. Use the Sam Villa Textur iron 1 - 2” off scalp and about 3 - 4” down the hair strand to amplify volume. Use the Sam Villa Pro Results 3-in-1 Blow Dry Hot Brush and run it through the ends of the hair. This pumps up volume while removing unwanted frizz, creating the perfect canva
Step 2: Alternate curls all over the head using the Sam Villa Artist Series Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand 1”.
Step 3: Backcomb the crown and pin the section in the center. Starting from the right, take a large section(depending on hair type) and create a dutch braid. Cross it over the pinned center section placing it to the left. Use Verb Volume Dry Texture Spray and Powder to increase the size of the braid and expand curls
Step 4: Repeat Step 3 but take the Dutch braid section from the left and cross over to the right.Pin in place.
Step 5: Create the last Dutch braid on the right and cross back over to the left.
Step 6: Once all of the braids are pinned in place, add final details, such as decorative bridal pins or accessories (a leaf vinewas used here). Finish with AIIR Professional Flexible Hold AIIR Spray for longevity.
Explore the weekly educational offerings in haircutting, up styling, tips and tricks, business and wellness, from Sam Villa and team here.Sam Villa is Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of the Sam Villa Company (Allvus, LLC), a leading education and styling tool company for the professional hair industry. He is also Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, a L’Oreal brand. Villa is the 2020 International Hairdressing Awards ‘International Hair Influencer of the Year,’ the 2017 NAHA Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Intercoiffure America/Canada Member, Behind the Chair Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Platform Artist and Educator (2012, 2011 and 2007) and Favorite Overall Educator of the Year (2015). His inspiring education and innovative ergonomic styling tools can be experienced on samvilla.com. The Sam Villa brand brings free digital education to everyone including hot tips and techniques, as well as access to livestreamed educational events. The company also offers professional tools for consumers so they can achieve salon-quality results at home with minimum effort.