Heat Protection, you or your client may ask why this is such an important topic in today’s world of finishing the hair. And let’s just add that our techniques for finishing hair in the salon service are just as important as our haircuts! Heat protection styling products are critical! Without them, the heat from blow dryers and irons will wreak havoc on the hair resulting in depleted moisture, proteins and breakage.
Tools of Choice:
Sam Villa Dry Sectioning Clips: The clips are professionally designed with a Silicone band to provide maximum grip and no slip on wet or dry hair without leaving any demarcations. Especially useful on dry cutting and for up styles.
Products of Choice:
Redken pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream: This nourishing time saving primer cream with heat protection is ideal for all hair types. It reduces drying time, protects from heat up to 450 degrees, helps reduce breakage and provides 24-hour lasting volume without weighing hair down. After using the blow-dry primer cream, hair is left 3x stronger and healthier and perfectly primed for any styling. It’s the first step for every blow-dry!
Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion: This heat protecting blow dry lotion reduces friction and breakage. For this technique, we use this lotion as the second step of product layering to prep the hair for a fast, easy blow-out with silky smooth results. Satinwear 02 protects against hair color fading and everyday hot tool use up to 450 degrees.
The Technique of Product Application:
It really is all in the application! Applying product in tiers will result in the product layering together to achieve maximum results. Application of a product can be a contributing factor in a client’s unwillingness to use it at home. Manufacturers are listening as the approach to dispensing product from packaging is changing, making it much easier for the end user. We need to teach our clients how we apply the product to their hair so they can achieve the same results at home for a successful outcome!
Let's consider that primers help to speed up the drying process with added conditioning benefits. Styling Product of your choice is determined on the amount of control or hold factor you desire for the end result. As we desired a soft and smooth polished finish, we chose to layer satinwear 02 over pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream.
- Slice a casual section at the nape area just below the occipital and secure with your dry sectioning clip – no need to be precise
- Dispense Redken pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream into the hands and emulsify into palms
- Continue to emulsify just as you would apply lotion to your hands. Get the product in-between your fingers and on the back of your hands.
- Approach the nape section by folding your hands into the section ensuring to make contact with the hair in-between your fingers as well.
- Move on to the area above the occipital and divide into two sections.
- NOTE: Apply product to the lower top section first, then move on to the front.
- Dispense Redken satinwear 02 into the hands.
- Emulsify into palms and fingers just as you would apply lotion to your hands, getting the product in-between your fingers and on the back of your hands.
- Approach the nape and top sections together to layer Redken satinwear 02 in with pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream.
This technique makes perfect sense! You now have product all over your hands, not just in your palms – another factor of doing things differently to achieve maximum results! Stay tuned for part two as we begin to set up the foundation using a wrap drying technique.