Ponytails are one hairstyle that will always be in style for all women of all ages. There are many different types of ponytails you can create, but one of the most difficult to place in is the sleek ponytail - just like the ones you see during Fashion Week. In this video, Sam Villa breaks down the steps to achieve the perfect pony.
Tools For Success
How To Place The Perfect Ponytail
- Give your hair some texture. If your hair is freshly washed and a little too smooth, add some dry shampoo to your hair for added texture. This will allow your ponytail to stay in place all day long.
- Next, determine where you want to place your ponytail. If you have layers, your ponytail will need to be placed where your shortest pieces of hair can reach. Make sure youre pulling your hair up, not back and dont be afraid to go higher than you would normally.
- You're going to use the "pocket" of your hand to hold and control the ponytail. This is the area between your thumb and index finger. Hold the ponytail in place with one hand, brushing out any bumps with the other hand to ensure a smooth, sleek ponytail.
- For best results, begin in the front center of the head, brushing the hair back to your placement point. Next, brush the left side back, then the right side back. Finally, go through and smooth anywhere you have missed until you are ready to secure with an elastic.
- Use your hair elastic or hair bungee and wrap around the ponytail to secure it firmly in place. Using a hair tie or bungee will keep your ponytail in place all day long whereas a regular hair elastic tends to slip out throughout the day.
- To keep your ponytail looking sleek & chic, take a 1-inch section of hair from the underside of your ponytail and wrap it around the hair tie. Secure the hair with a bobby pin to hide the elastic, pushing the bobby pin in on the underside of the hair elastic so everything is covered up.
- Finish with a high control hairspray - we recommend Redken control addict 28 high control hairspray - and gently brush down any fly-aways with a powder brush or toothbrush. This will allow you to tame your fly-aways without making your ponytail completely flat.
Follow these steps and you'll be able to produce the perfect ponytail, one that belongs on the red carpet!
Show us your perfect ponytails on Instagram! Tag your photos with #samvilla for a change to be featured!
Like, comment and share this post! Be sure to check out this awesome fishtail braid ponytail video tutorial from Sam Villa!