Thanks to better product technology and education, more women are feeling empowered to wear their hair naturally curly. Natural-looking waves, polished with the perfect amount of frizz is the goal. Jesse Linares, Sam Villa ArTeam member, gives 5 tips on the treatment and styling of curly hair to deliver undone texture with the perfect amount of polish.
Curly Hair Tips
- To avoid stressing the curl pattern, use Redken Curvaceous Cleanser (Light or High Foam) and Curvaceous Conditioner for Curly and Wavy Hair and blot dry until damp using a smooth towel.
- To ensure moderate, yet complete saturation of product, apply section-by-section. (Try Redken Curvaceous Curl Refiner as a primer and Full Swirl Curly and Wavy Hair Cream Serum)
- Diffuse hair in large sections to keep curl in tact (starting at the bottom and working upward). Use high heat and the low air setting, and heat each section to approximately 80% dry. The Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer comes with a deep bowl diffuser for larger sections and also has a built-in ceramic/tourmaline ion generator to reduce static and frizz.
- For sections that need to be redefined or polished, use a small curling iron to recurl and tame frizz.
- To finish, blend Redken rough paste 12 and a small amount of Redken All Soft Argan-6 Multi-care Oil in hands like a lotion (between fingers and tops of hands). Break the set by gently inserting hands into hair at the scalp. Squeeze fingers together, then slowly extend the root with tension from the inside out. Release tension towards the ends to keep them defined.
“Proper consulting with a curly guest is where most problems are solved. It’s imperative to learn about the curl type and daily habits of the guest because you need to figure out what they are CURRENTLY DOING, what they WANT TO BE DOING, as well as what they are WILLING TO DO. The answers to these questions will reveal your cutting and styling options,” says Linares.