The transition from late summer to fall is bittersweet, the exciting part is looking forward to fall fashion and beauty.
This fall, it's all about layering with rich color palettes and textures topped off with a hat its THE accessory for the season! No need to worry about hat head, Andrew Carruthers, has the perfect hairstyle to compliment any chapeaux.
Wardrobe Stylist Michelle Boucher says, "A lot of the old rules about everything having to match are out the window right now. Its okay to mix light layers in contrasting colors, textures, and patterns - let your creative side come out and don't skimp on the accessories, like a hat."
"Hats are a favorite accessories because you can achieve contrasting texture, a smooth floppy Boho style pairs perfectly with loose textured waves. It's a quick and easy process with the Sam Villa professional flat iron, it only takes 7-10 minutes, explains Andrew Carruthers, Director of Education for Sam Villa.
Get the Look:
- Use a horizontal section to part off the top and crown areas (they can be combined into one area) - clip hair up loosely.
- Take another horizontal section from the top of the ear to the other ear to separate the back and sides from the nape area - clip hair up loosely.
- Take a vertical section in the nape and elevate 90° from horizontal - size of section depends on the density of hair and volume of curl - smaller sections for thicker hair or more curl - 2-3 large sections in the nape should work well.
- Spray each section with Redken spray starch 15 for hold and heat protection.
- Hold the Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr flat iron parallel over the section, DO NOT close the iron. With the iron still open, flip 180° and move the iron down the section closing softly (more stubborn hair textures will require more tension). The speed determines the curl density faster = less curl, slower = more curl.
- Unclip the back and sides.
- Use the same method as in the nape - vary the direction (towards the face or away from the face) flip through the back and sides, but make sure to turn the iron away from the face on the front section.
- Unclip the final area at the top and crown - in the crown area, sections will be pie shaped to maintain a vertical angle.
- Repeat if the hat is staying on all day, focus more on the mid-shaft and ends, because the hat will cover the base. If the hat will be taken on and off, utilize the entire hair shaft.
- Finish by raking fingers through the waves to break up for a more lived in effect.
- Spray with Redken control addict 28 for moveable control.
- Put a hat on!
Hair: Andrew Carruthers, Education Director for Sam Villa
Wardrobe Styling: Michelle Boucher
Photography: Jeremy McDougle
MUA: Jillyn Nelsen
Model: Leanne Freedman