Sam and Andrew present us with a modern twist on the chignon incorporating a 4-strand braid.
What's most important about this technique (as with all braiding) is getting the rhythm down In this video, Andrew assists Sam so we can all see the action in more of a slow motion. Listen to Sam as he speaks the rhythm over, under, next, over, under
Once again, it begins with a perfect the ponytail. If you have not mastered the pony, you need watch this video first. The hair should be slick to the head and pony should to be smooth as silk!
Recommended Tools For This Technique
- Redken pillow proof blow dry two day extender & oil absorbing dry shampoo for blow drying prior to placing the ponytail
- Redken pillow proof blow dry express primer with heat for blow drying prior to placing the ponytail
- Redken move ability 05 lightweight defining cream paste you'll use this during your braiding
- Redken Fashion Work 12 versatile hairspray to set the style in place
How To Create a 4-Strand Braided Chignon
- Once you have your pony in place divide the pony into 2 sections with your tail comb, apply Redken move ability 05 to the section and comb through.
- Next, divide each of the two sections into two more sections with your tail comb, apply Redken move ability 05 to the section and comb through.
- Redken move ability 05 will enable the hair to stay together a great consistency of cream and paste.
- HOT TIP: Place Redken move ability 05 lightweight defining cream paste into the pocket of the thumb and index finger this enables you to add product easily without having to stop what you are doing and lose your rhythm.
- Keep your rhythm to create the braid that will result in an alluring pattern. Mastering your rhythm will give you the confidence to take this to another level!
- Once you have the braided pattern in place, find the middle strand and hold on to it while palming and pushing the hair in an upward direction crating a very cool effect. After securing the braid with a hair-friendly elastic, wrap the remaining hair around your index finger and move it into the bottom of the chignon and secure with a hairpin gone, out of site!
- Hold the chignon in place with your free hand and secure with grips and hair pins, make sure your chignon holds by placing a grip at the bottom and top of the chignon and placing hair around the perimeter pay attention to the correct technique of grip and hair pin placement.
- We love the texture and look of accordion bellows. For a more organic look, take a shammy to the head and gently rock it back and forth over the chignon itself or over the entire head to release some hair.
- Finish with Redken Fashion Work 12 versatile hairspray.
This braiding technique results in a vertical pattern as opposed to the typical rounded shape of a chignon.
Let us know what you think. Do you love this 4-strand braided chignon? Comment below and ask your questions too. Also, be sure to tag your photos on Instagram using #samvilla & @samvillahair for a chance to be featured!