It's time to bundle up, in other words, time to fight hat head. Whether topping off with a cashmere beanie, a ski helmet or a wide brimmed chapeaux, it's all about preventing hat head. There are tricks to minimizing hat head, but it can't always be prevented. There are usually two camps - take control and submit so pick a side. Take control and wear a ponytail. If you've perspired while running to catch the train or showing off on the slopes, hair will take on a whole new life. Slicking it back into a ponytail is a great way to take control and minimize or hide the wrath of the hat.
Take Control with a Ponytail
- Begin by applying Redken iron shape 11 to create tact, control, and calm fly-aways.
- Using a paddle brush, smooth out hair and brush a horseshoe section (from ear to ear) back and hold in place with hands at the back of the head (lower than center).
- Brush the remaining hair (from the nape to ears) up into hands, switching from one hand to another brushing both sides. Always brush to thumb to control position of ponytail, secure with a bungee or elastic.
- Wrap a small section from the ponytail around the bungee and secure with a grip.
- Backcomb the ponytail to create natural texture.
- Finish with Redken control addict 28 to lock in texture in the tail and to control frizz and fly-aways in smoother area of ponytail.
- Layer smooth area with a small amount of Redken glass 01 for that ultra sleek finish.
Submit with Messy Waves
- Use a horizontal section to part off the top and crown areas (they can be combined into one area) - clip hair up loosely.
- Take another horizontal section from the top of the ear to the other ear to separate the back and sides from the nape area - clip hair up loosely.
- Take a vertical section in the nape and elevate 90° from horizontal - size of section depends on the density of hair and volume of curl - smaller sections for thicker hair or more curl - 2-3 large sections in the nape should work well.
- Spray each section with Redken iron shape 11 for hold and heat protection.
- Hold the Sam Villa Sleekr® flat iron parallel over the section, DO NOT close the iron. With the iron still open, flip 180° and move the iron down the section closing softly (more stubborn hair textures will require more tension). The speed determines the curl density faster = less curl, slower = more curl.
- Unclip the back and sides.
- Use the same method as in the nape - vary the direction (towards the face or away from the face) flip through the back and sides, but make sure to turn the iron away from the face on the front section.
- Unclip the final area at the top and crown - in the crown area, sections will be pie shaped to maintain a vertical angle.
- Repeat if the hat is staying on all day, focus more on the midshaft and ends, because the hat will cover the base. If the hat will be taken on and off, utilize the entire hairshaft.
- Finish by raking fingers through the waves to break up for a more lived in effect.
- Spray with Redken control addict 28 for moveable control.
If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the box below.
Be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and checkout SamVillaHair on YouTube for more free education.