How To Create a Sleek and Chic Center Part
Is there anything more chic than a center part? It's such a simple detail that elevates a style to a whole other level of sophistication. Check out Gwen Stefani's perfect center part from the Emmy's - gorgeous!
Olivia Palermo is another perfect example her hair is always parted in the center with minimal frizz and ultimate shine.
The secret to creating a sleek center part is to use a comb when blow drying instead of a brush. Hair is being redirected from its natural growth pattern and a brush can't get as close to the scalp as a comb to redirect the base of the hair shaft it can be done with a brush, but it won't last as long.
The key to redirecting hair from its natural part is applying tension and heat; the fine teeth of the comb provides the tension and the blow dryer should be on medium to high heat to reform the bonds.
Follow these steps to create a sleek chic center part
- Apply Redken iron shape 11 to towel dried hair for control.
- Using the fine teeth of your comb, comb a slice of hair diagonally across the part with the nozzle of your professional blow dryer positioned close behind and parallel to the comb with heat on medium to high.
- Continue slice by slice, combing in a diagonal pattern until the entire part is covered. Then, change directions and take diagonal slices from the opposite side of the part back over to the other side, working from back to front. Hair is dried in an "X" pattern over the natural part on medium to high heat to break the bonds so they can be reformed.
- All Sam Villa combs have been designed with a parting pick at the end of the comb. Use this to easily part the hair from the back of the head to the front.
Best way to smooth the hair at the part
- Place the fine teeth of the comb into each section from underneath at the scalp area at the part, with the teeth facing toward you.
- Position the outside of your flat iron (the Sam Villa Straightening Iron casing remains hot around the plates for you to use as a heat source for this technique and also for use in curling iron techniques) and you can use this as your heat source on top of the teeth of the comb and slowly comb through the section with the outside edge of the iron on top of the comb.
- The tension from the fine teeth of the comb and the heat from the flat iron will smooth the hair at the part, reducing frizz and imparting shine.
Finish this hairstyle with a high control hairspray such as Redken control addict 28 for lasting hold and a matte finish.
That is the easiest way for you to create a chic sleek center part! Give it a try and share your results with us on Instagram using #samvilla.