How To Create a Mohawk Braid - Step By Step Guide
Step 1: Prep Your Hair
- Take horizontal sections and spray a minimum of 6-8" away with Redken quick tease 15 backcombing finishing spray to protect the hair from heat and for maximum iron results
- Use the Sam Villa Textur® Texturizing Iron tapping the plates down the length to texturize the entire head of hair
- After you have texturized the hair, brush through thoroughly with the Sam Villa Styling Brush to smooth the hair
- Once this is completed you will be able to create amazing looks for a minimum of 4 days!
- Purchase a quality shower cap - doing so will allow you the experience of a full shower and keeps your texture set intact
- Use a dry shampoo such as Redken Powder Refresh 01 to deodorize your hair and remove excess oils
- You can create amazing new looks every day with three times the volume and minimal styling time -- The Sam Villa Textur® Texturizing Iron is a must have if you are a hair fashionista (or even if you are hair-imparied)
Step 2: Creating The Triangle Mohawk Section
- Separate your fringe area by placing your index fingers at the corner of your eyes pointing up - this will outline the best place for your fringe area to be sectioned
- You will now create a triangle section from the front (fringe area) to the back of your head (crown)
- To section, pick up your Sam Villa Wide Cutting Comb and comb the hair off the face at the recession area, letting it naturally split between the top and side sections -- this approach will give you a straight part every time
Step 3: Securing The Sides Into Low Ponytail
- Use your Sam Villa Styling Brush and secure your sides and back into a smooth, tight, low ponytail
- Secure with a hair bungee for maximum staying power
- Take a small section of hair from the underneath of the ponytail and wrap around the base to cover the bungee
- Secure section underneath with a medium hair pin thru the bungee for security
Step 4: Braiding The "Mohawk" Top Section
- Begin your French Braid in your top section by taking three sections of hair beginning at the hairline
- Place two strands in one hand, and the third strand is held in your opposite hand
- Braid by taking the strand on the right and crossing it under the center strand, then take the strand from the left and cross it under the center strand
- Before you cross a strand over to the other side, add another strand of hair from the loose pieces on the same side and include it in the cross-over
- Continue the braid down the length and secure with a clear elastic
Step 5: Finishing The Mohawk Braid
- Lay your braid on top of the low ponytail and secure with a hairpin at the base of the ponytail
- When securing a shape with a hairpin begin by placing the pin thru the shape in the opposite direction, then secure it back toward the desired shape using a hook movement
- This will allow for maximum tension and security
Try this at home and share your results on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using #samvilla.
Best Hair Cutting Techniques - The Ultimate Guide [86 Free Videos]
Haircutting takes an incredibly long time to master and requires constant education! In the Ultimate Video Guide to ...
Ultimate Hair Salon Equipment List 2022 (free PDF checklist)
Starting your own salon business is a major undertaking, and a big part of that is selecting professional salon equip...
How to Create the Hottest Haircuts of 2022 [Full Length Video Tutorials]
Tousled with texture, these effortlessly cool haircut trends give the perfect stand-out vibe with soft, feminine hues...