How To Create Ribbon Curls With A Flat Iron
Using a professional straightening iron to make ribbon curls may seem like a hassle, but in fact it is easier than you might think.
The heat from the Sam Villa SLEEKR® Flat Iron makes creating a curl simple (and snag-free because of the curved & rounded plates). With a few tips and tricks you'll never need to use a curling iron again.
The Ribbon Curl technique creates a more relaxed curl with a sense of laziness, soft expansion, but not too coiffed. The idea is to stretch hair with heat - due to the placement and wrap technique, when hair is removed, it bounces back and is curled. Think of the ribbons on gifts that are stretched with a scissor and then curl up once released.
Hot Tip: When taking sections - the larger the section, the softer the curl. The smaller the section, the more defined the curl. So, a ¼" section would yield a tight curl and a 1" section a more relaxed curl.
Ribbon Curl Technique - Step by Step
- Take a medium size section 1" in length and ½" in width and prep with Redken iron silk 07 ultra straightening spray.
- Hold section in left hand.
- Hold the Sam Villa Signature SLEEKR Flat Iron, in right hand with the iron vertical and palm facing head.
- Pinch section at base, as you pinch, fold hand so palm faces you (still holding the section with left hand).
- Slowly slide iron down to the end of the hair shaft ad release hair - it will spring into a ribbon curl.
- Finish with Redken fashion work 12 versatile working spray.