Quick "No Guard" Fade How-To
David Boyd of the Sam Villa ArTeam takes to his Instagram account to show how to do a "no guard" fade quickly and easily. Watch Part 1 and 2 of the videos below to see how it's done.
- Start by carving out the sides with the #1 clipper blade. The same effect can be made with the scissor-over-comb technique.
- At the top of this section, keep the blade angled away from the head to avoid creating any lines to blend out later. The height that you take the #1 length is up to you, but generally I keep it below the parietal ridge or vertical round of the head so that I have length to blend with the scissor-over-comb technique.
- Next, use your clippers with the adjustable blade closed to scoop out the bottom, about 1 finger's worth on the sides transitioning into 3 fingers high in the back.
- With the blade half open, blend up into the length about half an inch.
- With the blade completely open, blend up an additional half inch into the length above.
- Lastly, scoop out the bottom with the 00000 fade blade.. Before you blend any further, do a quick directional blow-dry using your Sam Villa Professional Ionic Blow Dryer and Long Cutting Comb.
- In part 1, we left off with a quick directional blow-dry, focusing movement up and to the center on both sides for subtle lift and a classic Pompadour shape.
- Next, use your Sam Villa Long Cutting Comb and Reversible Blending Shear to blend and sculpt any additional length around the vertical round of the head, transitioning from the sides to the length on top.
- For the most part, I am combing up and against the movement of the hair to stand the hair up for cutting and blending.
- Once finished, Use a Firm Hold Grooming Aid to style the shape with the perfect amount of hold and natural shine.
If you're digging this how-to and want more, 'Like' and share this post and we'll keep the men's how-to's coming! And remember to follow David Boyd on Instagram.